What is AI Augmentation?
How to use AI to augment your organization's workflows
AI (artificial intelligence) augmentation is the process of incorporating artificial intelligence technology into the workplace to help employees work more efficiently. AI Augmentation has rapidly grown recently with new breakthroughs and availability of AI technology, like OpenAI's Chat GPT.
AI Augmentation tools help us perform productively in a comfortable working environment. AI tools can also lead to an improved work-life balance and a better quality of life.
AI augmentation can be used in conjunction with human cognition for a wide variety of tasks, including but not limited to:
- Creating a predictive model for customer service or sales
- Generating insights from data
- Making recommendations to customers and enhancing customer service by providing customers quick answers or resolutions to their questions
- Suggesting new ideas or solutions
- Monitoring content and language and assisting in proofreading and copyediting
- Creating marketing content
- Visualizing prototypes
- Automating repetitive tasks like scheduling appointments or meetings
- Performing market analysis
- Aiding in task prioritization to improve your workflow
While AI augmentation tools may not give you literal superpowers, it can empower you to work like you do.
AI tools have been primarily based on algorithms, binaries, and codes. In other words, they couldn't evolve without human intervention.
AI augmentation is more human-centric in the sense that it considers our needs and understanding levels. It uses natural language processing, or NLP, to help augment human intelligence in the areas of reasoning and decision-making. Humans can work alongside AI to work smarter and more efficiently.
How AI & Humans Can Work Together
AI tools play the role of a virtual copilot:
- AI can surface information to help you make informed decisions.
- AI can write an outline or first draft for you.
- AI can help you finish tasks automatically.
- AI can provide a second set of eyes when it comes to data analysis and pattern recognition.
AI augmentation tools are simply used as one part of a larger process that involves human input. Remember that it is not about complete automation, but rather personalized augmentation.
AI Augmentation Use Cases: Designed to Enhance, Not Replace
AI Augmentation tools are designed to enhance an employee’s performance, not to replace them outright. It’s more like a GPS navigation software for workflows, guiding users to their task goals quickly and through the most “fuel-efficient” route. Combined with the company’s existing AI-driven architecture, these AI augmentation tools can significantly increase productivity and reduce costs for employers.
Have you ever wondered how awesome it would be to have someone at your beck and call, instinctively providing you with the right information at the right time? AI Augmentation tools can do exactly that. Think of them as your AI copilot, living right inside your workspace, ready to assist you. They can do the following for you:
- Researching and analyzing.
- Provide informative responses to queries.
- Write outlines/first drafts of research briefs.
- Perform market sizing analysis.
- Anticipate your actions and optimize your workflow. It can also help with predictive modeling and forecasting.
Here's an example: You're a junior banker tasked with writing an equity research report for the first time. Instead of staring at a blank page trying to figure out how to get started, AI provides you resources and initial thoughts to get started. Check out this example:
While you still need to fact-check, extend, and refine the AI-generated brief, it provides a structured outline for this junior banker to work with. Busy professionals alike can utilize these tools to cut down the time it takes to complete tasks like research briefs. It can also be a great learning tool for less-experienced employees.
AI has the power to augment our workflows in a way that is tailored to our individual needs. These tools can help us achieve more and be more productive. A few examples of AI augmentation tools include:
- AI chatbots offer personalized support by understanding what customers require and then provide the best solution.
- Helping with customer service by answering questions, resolving issues, and providing feedback.
- Create marketing content including articles, reports, or general marketing copy.
- Provide personalized training for your employees.
- Offer reminders, find information, plan events, or schedule tasks for you.
A key feature of these technologies is their ability to equip humans with exactly what they need. By employing intelligent data analytics and cognitive computing, AI augmentation tools personalize workflows according to an individual’s needs.
A solution to the big-data problem
Big data is the use of massive datasets to gain insights about the world. It’s a challenge to process large amounts of data using conventional means due to the sheer amount of information, the variety of formats, and the speed at which it is generated.
AI Augmentation tools like ModuleQ collect and analyze big data to help find the most useful information that otherwise would have gotten lost in the clutter.
Five ways AI augmentation solves the big data problem:
- Analyze and process large amounts of data faster than humans.
- Learn from the past, predict future outcomes, and generate insights that are difficult for humans to identify.
- Use machine learning to find patterns in the data, which will enable them to find insights that humans may have missed.
- Create new datasets from old ones or draw conclusions from insufficient datasets.
- Work as a predictive tool to help make decisions about what information should be collected next and how it should be analyzed.
ModuleQ arms companies with AI Augmentation solutions to help their customer-facing teams get more out of their workflows. Recently, ModuleQ selected the GPT models and Microsoft Azure OpenAIService to help customers unlock the value of their information assets, both proprietary and externally sourced. This empowers users to do even more with AI Augmentation. Head here to find out more about how they do this.